Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold

Conputer fan idle speed

My computer fan has been going whack for probably 2 months now. It took me awhile to notice it and I haven't really been able to figure out any solutions. What do you guys? Here's the current situation:

On use, it runs at normal speed. Perfectly fine.

On idle, is where the problem starts. I'm going to range the fan speed/sounds from 0 to 10. 0 being silent, 10 sounds like max.
    It'll be at 0 for a good 5 seconds. Then starts up slowly to about a 7 lasting for about 8 seconds before it maxes at to 10 and drops right back down to 0. And repeat. This is a constant thing until I shut off the computer or use it.

I'm wondering if there are any potential problems this could lead to in the future or if there is any way to fix it?
    I have cleaned out the fans recently so I'm not quite sure that is the problem.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Cool BOTTNET

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenly View Post
    My computer fan has been going whack for probably 2 months now. It took me awhile to notice it and I haven't really been able to figure out any solutions. What do you guys? Here's the current situation:

On use, it runs at normal speed. Perfectly fine.

On idle, is where the problem starts. I'm going to range the fan speed/sounds from 0 to 10. 0 being silent, 10 sounds like max.
    It'll be at 0 for a good 5 seconds. Then starts up slowly to about a 7 lasting for about 8 seconds before it maxes at to 10 and drops right back down to 0. And repeat. This is a constant thing until I shut off the computer or use it.

I'm wondering if there are any potential problems this could lead to in the future or if there is any way to fix it?
    I have cleaned out the fans recently so I'm not quite sure that is the problem.
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT A BOTTNET VIRUS

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    As long as your CPU temp isn't insanely high (especially for long periods of time) you'll be fine, obviously other than the noise lmao. There are some free applications that allow you to see your temp.
    Also sounds like a power setting bc you mentioned it only doing it while idling.

Check your bios settings / motherboard settings (on startup) and see if there are any fan settings.
    If you have a 3rd party cooler like a watercooled system (mine is from corsair) they have their own applications that control these settings.
    Need assistance?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeScillet For This Useful Post:

Granpa Sam (12-23-2018),Watanuki (12-23-2018)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by Granpa Sam View Post
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT A BOTTNET VIRUS
    I doubt it since I have Malwarebytes and AVG scanning daily.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeScillet View Post
    As long as your CPU temp isn't insanely high (especially for long periods of time) you'll be fine, obviously other than the noise lmao. There are some free applications that allow you to see your temp.
    Also sounds like a power setting bc you mentioned it only doing it while idling.

Check your bios settings / motherboard settings (on startup) and see if there are any fan settings.
    If you have a 3rd party cooler like a watercooled system (mine is from corsair) they have their own applications that control these settings.
    Thanks, I'll look into all of it today. Last time I checked, my temps weren't unusually high at all but I will definitely double check.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Watanuki View Post

I doubt it since I have Malwarebytes and AVG scanning daily.

Thanks, I'll look into all of it today. Last time I checked, my temps weren't unusually high at all but I will definitely double check.
    I wouldn't put any money down that AVG is going to be effective against most malware but regardless of that you have mbam and that should get the job done.If you would ask me I would uninstall avg and keep mbam(if you have it activated if not you should have another protection suite alongside with mbam) and optionally look for another suite like eset/kaspersky/bitdefender to replace AVG but that's up to you.
    Also what computer fan are you talking about? The fan(s) of the case, the cpu fan or the gpu fan(s)?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Is this a case fan? CPU cooler fan? GPU fan?
    Have you checked your CPU or GPU usage during the time it's intermittently going from 0-10?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Checked it awhile ago. It was GPU fans. I have dual GPUs. They just alternative it seems. Very weird.

Thanks
    Have you monitored your CPU performance when your fan speeds maximize? What the configuration?

Thanks
    More details about computer?