Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Linkage errors and two insubordinate compilers

GOOD GOD I'm so FUCKING ANGRY right now \rage

I need a cryptographic library for a program of mine, so I download crypto++ it says on the project page that's compatible with all versions of VC++ from 6.0 and up.

I first tried to build the f*ck*ng thing with VC++ 2010. No luck there, the project upgrader spits out it's little report with something about a platform not being supported. I'd be lying if I said that I had expected the thing to work, since such things never work for me. I decided it'd be best to build the library with VC++ 6.0 and later import it in VC++ 2010.

This was 3 hours ago.

So I started fixing errors and faulty definitions that are common in multi platform sourcecodes (crypto++ is apparently 'compatible' with linux, mac and windows all in 1 big file!). After about 60 -/+ minutes I finally got the f*c*er to compile and link at the same time! A great victory indeed!
    I ran the benchmark and the test application and all was well. I thought I was almost done so I sighed in relief because I thought that I had avoided one of those (this) incompatibility nightmares.

The last test was ran not 2 hours ago.

I made a quick and dirty test application (still in VC++6.0) with the functions and imports I needed, I tested it and it worked. Glad that everything was proceeding so smoothly I dropped all includes in my vc2010/includes dir and the library in the /lib dir. I copied the test file into my main project and hit compile. And what do think happens? That little sh*t of a compiler has the nerve to complain about conflicting typedefs! The ones I spent an hour on fixing!!!!! I was furious. I felt the urge to take a hammer to my compiler and settle this dispute real close like...

However, of course, I didn't. Since I know that it wouldn't solve anything. So I set to fixing the fixed definitions and typedefs with renewed gusto. Then after 45 minutes or so I got them working again.

As if the two compilers weren't enough for me link.exe had to complain as well. This is where I got stuck, I searched, I experimented and tried everything. But unlike compiling errors which are usually just a bunch of incompatible keywords, linkage errors are a real nightmare. These are the ones I still can't fix:

Code:
    1>------ Build started: Project: Bdoor, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
    1>  Client.cpp
    1>  Communications.cpp
    1>Communications.cpp(54): warning C4996: 'fopen': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using fopen_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
    1>          c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\include\stdio.h(234) : see declaration of 'fopen'
    1>  CryptoService.cpp
    1>  main.cpp
    1>  p2p-class.cpp
    1>p2p-class.cpp(449): warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'std::streamoff' to 'int', possible loss of data
    1>  Support.cpp
    1>Support.cpp(13): warning C4800: 'BOOL' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2005: "public: __thiscall std::bad_cast::bad_cast(char const *)" (??0bad_cast@STD@@QAE@PBD@Z) already defined in LIBCMT.lib(stdexcpt.obj)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2005: "public: virtual __thiscall std::bad_cast::~bad_cast(void)" (??1bad_cast@STD@@uae@XZ) already defined in LIBCMT.lib(stdexcpt.obj)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2005: "public: __thiscall std::bad_cast::bad_cast(class std::bad_cast const &)" (??0bad_cast@STD@@QAE@ABV01@@Z) already defined in LIBCMT.lib(stdexcpt.obj)
    1>CryptoService.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl CryptoPP::AlignedDeallocate(void *)" (?AlignedDeallocate@CryptoPP@@YAXPAX@Z)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dsa.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(ecp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(ec2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gfpcrypt.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(hex.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(algparam.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(nbtheory.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dll.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gf2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(rsa.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(cryptlib.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(filters.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall type_info::name(void)const " (?name@Type_info@@QBEPBDXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(rng.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dsa.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(hmac.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(ec2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gfpcrypt.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(hex.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(basecode.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(mqueue.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gf2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(modes.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(ecp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(iterhash.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(oaep.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(hrtimer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(rijndael.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(algparam.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(nbtheory.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dll.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(pubkey.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(randpool.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(asn.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(filters.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(rsa.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(cryptlib.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(queue.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(osrng.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)" (?_Xran@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(rng.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dsa.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(hmac.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(ec2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gfpcrypt.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(hex.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(basecode.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(mqueue.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gf2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(modes.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(ecp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(iterhash.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(oaep.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(hrtimer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(rijndael.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(algparam.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(nbtheory.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dll.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(pubkey.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(randpool.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(asn.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(filters.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(rsa.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(cryptlib.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(queue.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(osrng.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xlen(void)" (?_Xlen@STD@@YAXXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall std::ios_base::Init::Init(void)" (??0Init@iOS_base@STD@@QAE@XZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dll.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall std::ios_base::Init::Init(void)" (??0Init@iOS_base@STD@@QAE@XZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gf2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall std::ios_base::Init::Init(void)" (??0Init@iOS_base@STD@@QAE@XZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall std::ios_base::Init::~Init(void)" (??1Init@iOS_base@STD@@QAE@XZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(dll.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall std::ios_base::Init::~Init(void)" (??1Init@iOS_base@STD@@QAE@XZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(gf2n.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall std::ios_base::Init::~Init(void)" (??1Init@iOS_base@STD@@QAE@XZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall std::locale::_Iscloc(void)const " (?_Iscloc@locale@STD@@QBE_NXZ)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: class std::locale::facet const * __thiscall std::locale::_Getfacet(unsigned int,bool)const " (?_Getfacet@locale@STD@@QBEPBVfacet@12@I_N@Z)
    1>cryptlib.lib(integer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "private: static short const * const std::ctype<char>::_Cltab" (?_Cltab@?$ctype@D@STD@@0PBFB)
    1>C:\Users\Administrator\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Bdoor\Release\Bdoor.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 9 unresolved externals
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    Luckily I now have a new idea! I'm going to create a dll file that exports the functions I need in VC++ 6.0, and then link to those dynamicly in VC++ 2010!
    I'll post the outcome later

Similar stories anyone?

I'm SCHiM

Morals derive from the instinct to survive. Moral behavior is survival behavior above the individual level.

Polymorphic engine
    Interprocess callback class
    SIN
    Infinite-precision arithmetic
    Hooking dynamic linkage
    (sloppy)Kernel mode Disassembler!!!

Semi debugger

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Already defined -> one of the .h files doesnt have a
    #ifndef
    #define
    #endif

block or
    #pragma once

the unresolved ones -> a .lib ain't included or VC decided that those had to be renamed.
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I've abandoned this library and taken another one. Anyway I think it had to do with the different versions of the runtime VC6.0 and 2010 use...

I'm SCHiM

Morals derive from the instinct to survive. Moral behavior is survival behavior above the individual level.

Polymorphic engine
    Interprocess callback class
    SIN
    Infinite-precision arithmetic
    Hooking dynamic linkage
    (sloppy)Kernel mode Disassembler!!!

Semi debugger