Thread: C++

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Hmmm, I'm going to take a wild guess and say... between 22-27

Don't ask me why that range
    ehm no,...I wish... let's just leave it at mid-30's.. (OLD - hence the avatar haha) Been a professional dev since mid 90s and been screwing around with computers since.. well, before some of the people who hang out here were even born probably... go Commodore 64! - You know.. when there was no internet yet and you had to figure stuff out the hard way

I'd like to add - C++ is impractical for most small tasks. Why several hundred lines of code when .NET allows you to do it in 2?
    In Academic situations C++ is great though since it teaches the finer points of development that managed stuff does not (e.g. memory management, pointers etc)

but THAT statement does some up exactly how decisions are made in business: why would a business want to pay someone to develop something in say a month, when by simply choosing another tool/language they can have the same result ( & less maintenance) for less money & time? Doesn't matter how 'cool' C++ is or how 'l33t' someone thinks they are because that's all they do...In fantasy land C++ is still king in windows Dev (and don't get me wrong - I still love C++, and there ARE plenty of fields that still use it e.g. embedded/firmware) and open source is fantastic, but in business land, you have to make money somehow and it's all about whatever gets the job done the quickest, so you can move on to the next project.
    Last edited by B1ackAnge1; 05-06-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by B1ackAnge1 View Post
    ehm no,...I wish... let's just leave it at mid-30's.. (OLD - hence the avatar haha) Been a professional dev since mid 90s and been screwing around with computers since.. well, before some of the people who hang out here were even born probably... go Commodore 64! - You know.. when there was no internet yet and you had to figure stuff out the hard way

In Academic situations C++ is great though since it teaches the finer points of development that managed stuff does not (e.g. memory management, pointers etc)

but THAT statement does some up exactly how decisions are made in business: why would a business want to pay someone to develop something in say a month, when by simply choosing another tool/language they can have the same result ( & less maintenance) for less money & time? Doesn't matter how 'cool' C++ is or how 'l33t' someone thinks they are because that's all they do...In fantasy land C++ is still king in windows Dev (and don't get me wrong - I still love C++, and there ARE plenty of fields that still use it e.g. embedded/firmware) and open source is fantastic, but in business land, you have to make money somehow and it's all about whatever gets the job done the quickest, so you can move on to the next project.
    Mhmm, this is why I'm sort of excited for C (not C++, just plain old C) next semester at univ. I never learned about basic memory management (self taught .NET ohhh yeaaaah) and I've been looking back at the way older computer programmers had to do things and thinking "I would be sooooo screwed as a developer in days when even 64mb of RAM was something in the very very distant future." Programming these days gives a HUGE leeway to devs in the way they code, you can do some pretty sloppy code and because users are using upwards on 2gb RAM, latest dual+ core processors etc, it doesn't matter a damn, it'll still run with millisecond differences.

I've gotta admit, I'm glad I wasn't born when computers were first evolving, probably never would have pursued a developing career

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S. Anderson
    There are only two things to come out of Berkley, Unix and LSD,
    and I don’t think this is a coincidence
    You can win the rat race,
    But you're still nothing but a fucking RAT.

++Latest Projects++
    [Open Source] Injection Library
    Simple PE Cipher
    FilthyHooker - Simple Hooking Class
    CLR Injector - Inject .NET dlls with ease
    Simple Injection - An in-depth look
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    oh come on now... sexy puke brown computer with even sexier tape drives

That was the shit back then (see now I'm really starting to sound like an old geezer hahah) you KNOW you would've wanted some of that

4. The Following User Says Thank You to B1ackAnge1 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (05-06-2011)

Thanks
    What's that thing next to the keyboard?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
    What's that thing next to the keyboard?
    A tape drive?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie. View Post

A tape drive?
    LOL that shit is really old.

Compact Cassette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    oh come on now... sexy puke brown computer with even sexier tape drives

That was the shit back then (see now I'm really starting to sound like an old geezer hahah) you KNOW you would've wanted some of that
    Is that 64K RAM I see? Fuck yeah I want some of that. Need like 3x that to just open firefox haha.

++Latest Projects++
    Simple PE Cipher
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks

Is that 64K RAM I see? Fuck yeah I want some of that. Need like 3x that to just open firefox haha.

And if you sell one of those computers you'll get like 10x the money for a high end gaming pc.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    yes that's a tape drive - instead of a harddrive or even floppies ( though you could get the upgrade to the 5-1/4" big-ass floppy drive) you used a cassette tape (like for music) but instead it had your data/programs on it.. Fast forward to position XX, press play, enter the load command and it would load the program into memory . Seems so primitive nowadays doesn't it?

and yes.. a whopping 64Kb (with a K) of ram Notepad.exe nowadays is more than twice that size on disk...Major improvement was the Amiga 500 with a whopping 512KB upgradable to 1mb a few years later running at a blistering 7.16 mhz that'll make you think about memory management & performance issues
    Last edited by B1ackAnge1; 05-06-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    yes that's a tape drive - instead of a harddrive or even floppies ( though you could get the upgrade to the 5-1/4" big-ass floppy drive) you used a cassette tape (like for music) but instead it had your data/programs on it.. Fast forward to position XX, press play, enter the load command and it would load the program into memory . Seems so primitive nowadays doesn't it?

and yes.. a whopping 64Kb (with a K) of ram Notepad.exe nowadays is more than twice that size on disk...Major improvement was the Amiga 500 with a whopping 512KB upgradable to 1mb a few years later running at a blistering 7.16 mhz that'll make you think about memory management & performance issues
    I can vaguely remember my sister having a cassette player and tapes with fairy tales on them being told. and that is the only place i know them from.

I don't even remember floppies

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
    I can vaguely remember my sister having a cassette player and tapes with fairy tales on them being told. and that is the only place i know them from.

I don't even remember floppies
    I have those too in my closet. The cassetes then, not the fairytales stories.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead

I have two Mpgh pages open and Firefox-Bin takes ~15Mb RAM, We're pretty far from the 64K System.

@B1ackAnge1
    Did you knew the Commodore company was mayhaps "Coming Back" ?
    C64x, A Commodore 64 with Blu-ray, USB, HDMI | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    Love You All~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melodia View Post

I have two Mpgh pages open and Firefox-Bin takes ~15Mb RAM, We're pretty far from the 64K System.

@B1ackAnge1
    Did you knew the Commodore company was mayhaps "Coming Back" ?
    C64x, A Commodore 64 with Blu-ray, USB, HDMI | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    That sounds awesome.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    I just read this whole topic, pretty interesting read. Didn't know you were that old B1ackAnge1. I'm not really sure what job to pursue in the future nor what to use my programming knowledge for. I personally enjoy programming, it improves your knowledge/logic and I just find it fun for some reason. I've been attached to computers since I was a little boy (3 or 4 years old) back when I had my epic Windows Me computer with Chinese set as the language (btw, I had no idea what any of the words meant and I still wouldn't understand it now). All of that was about 10 years ago....

Oh and I don't own a single floppy or cassette tape in my house.
    Last edited by master131; 05-06-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Melodia View Post

I meant um...approx 3000x :P

Yeah...I might have to change that to nearly 10000x

++Latest Projects++
    Simple PE Cipher
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast