Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

[Discussion] AI & VI

Is it a good career to go into?

Do you get paid a lot of money, or are there many job offerings?

I am thinking of studying Computer Programming and/or Computer Technician, but I dont know which would be better, or if both would be good.
    "The best way to predict your future is to create it."

Contributions I made:

DirectX E-Books
    Hacking Tools
    Hacking into a PC

Need Help?
    Send me a PM, or send me a email at : aanthonyz10@gmail.com

Click My Dragon:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by aanthonyz View Post
    Is it a good career to go into?

Do you get paid a lot of money, or are there many job offerings?

I am thinking of studying Computer Programming and/or Computer Technician, but I dont know which would be better, or if both would be good.
    Depends how good you are, what field you go into..etc.

Computer Science as a whole is a MASSIVE field, with thousands of career options (pretty much every business needs some for of computer scientist) What you go into will decide how much you get paid, but you do have the potential to earn a lot of money. I.e, when I went to a Uni day last year, a guy that had graduated from CScienceand is now the head of a bank security team, I think he was CTO or some shit. He gets paid a fucking SHITLOAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S. Anderson
    There are only two things to come out of Berkley, Unix and LSD,
    and I don’t think this is a coincidence
    You can win the rat race,
    But you're still nothing but a fucking RAT.

++Latest Projects++
    [Open Source] Injection Library
    Simple PE Cipher
    FilthyHooker - Simple Hooking Class
    CLR Injector - Inject .NET dlls with ease
    Simple Injection - An in-depth look
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Don't worry about it. In 10-15 years when AI, begins its slow but indomitable climb humans will realize how utterly terrible we are at logic. It's true. Are brains are not designed for that so we are terribly inefficient at it. Oh and some ten year old is going to disprove General Relativity, but he was born with a brain that's more mathematically inclined. So just do what you want ur interested in and don't worry about the small stuff. CS as field is reaching its peak then it will decline like every other field, so hop on the bandwagon while you can and have some fun before the robots take over.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Don't worry about it. In 10-15 years when AI, begins its slow but indomitable climb humans will realize how utterly terrible we are at logic. It's true. Are brains are not designed for that so we are terribly inefficient at it. Oh and some ten year old is going to disprove General Relativity, but he was born with a brain that's more mathematically inclined. So just do what you want ur interested in and don't worry about the small stuff. CS as field is reaching its peak then it will decline like every other field, so hop on the bandwagon while you can and have some fun before the robots take over.
    Computers may have superior logic, but that's only because they are essentially too stupid to 'think outside the box' as humans can. So really, while AI may be superior at logical and mathematical tasks, ask it to think of the next technological advancement to make, or a cool new iPhone app that people will pay lots for...oh noes.
    Last edited by Jason; 03-29-2011 at 07:16 AM.

++Latest Projects++
    Simple PE Cipher
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Computers may have superior logic, but that's only because they are essentially too stupid to 'think outside the box' as humans can. So really, while AI may be superior at logical and mathematical tasks, ask it to think of the next technological advancement to make, or a cool new iPhone app that people will pay lots for...oh noes.
    Amen to that. And if you want my opinion: if you have any other "better" options, take them. Most people that wanna work with computers end being badly paid IT techs or do freelancing as a side-job

The percentage that actually gets into those goods spots is quite low imo

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeus View Post
    Amen to that. And if you want my opinion: if you have any other "better" options, take them. Most people that wanna work with computers end being badly paid IT techs or do freelancing as a side-job

Don't crush my dreams please.

++Latest Projects++
    Simple PE Cipher
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead

Absolute truth. Wonder how Why gonna respond to this one ;D

Computers are your near future. Don't worry ;D

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

Not true at all. (imo)
    Last edited by 'Bruno; 03-29-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks
    Oh and some ten year old is going to disprove General Relativity, but he was born with a brain that's more mathematically inclined.
    damn I missed my deadline
    Last edited by Toxic Waltz; 03-29-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinuz View Post
    Not true at all. (imo)
    Most of the guys that I know that went on to study any form of computer science or IT stuff ended up as techs for one company or another. One event got a job as a support tech in a shop

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Most of the guys that I know that went on to study any form of computer science or IT stuff ended up as techs for one company or another. One event got a job as a support tech in a shop
    Personally I think I'm doing fine and I haven't started University at all yet =)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Computers don't have to think outside the box. In fact they don't have to "think" at all. Thinking is for nubs. Why think when you can compare information and user experiences from tens of thousands of apps and billions of users. The idea that computers wouldn't be good at things is simply naive self-serving ideology. There was once an AI a few years back given the task of creating a new antenna design. It compared MILLIONS of shapes, found which one had better reception and worked and worked from there, building off the last step, probing an infinite number of probabilities.

It never had to think or learn from its mistakes, though doing so may have sped up the process. Instead it created a thousand new designs all at once. And ended up coming up with one of the most effective antenna designs. To think that a computer can not match human intelligence and even outstrip it very easily is naive. Everytime people have said computers can not do something they have been proved wrong. I have seen what Watson can do and if history serves in 1997 Deep Blue beat Kasparov and now 10 odd years later my laptop has roughly the same power. In 10 more years its not wishful thinking to assume a desktop would have the same power as the Power7. First rule of Hacking is to realize nothing can NOT be done. Once you accept all possibilities its more easy to see possible outcomes. Don't let your hope for job security get in the way. Hah! as if one job will last you your entire life.

The previous generation (mothers, fathers) are already going "back to college" the generation before who thought they could work in a job their whole life means we are finding senior citizens working at Wal-Mart or Target. One thing is clear knowledge/education is the only way to get ahead. It is the only asset that can not be bought or sold. Information is free and will only become more accessible as time goes on. Progress is speeding up. My parents generation was disrupted by the advent of the personal computer, then the internet. Do you really think there will not be a disruptive change in your lifetime? Everytime I have asked someone inside or outside of academia "When did they stop learning?" they answer I always receive is "never". You are forever a student. I honestly expect programming to become atleast in some sense a lot different then it is now. I don't see people sitting down and typing out "hard-coding" line after line. I see the creation of a User-programmer. Where programs are not mass produced, but customized for individual users. I see AI programming as being reborn in the next few years as the power necessary to run useful AI's becomes accessible to everyone. It used to be that not many could afford a horse, now everyone has a car. It used to be that books were few and expensive, now I can stored a million in my pocket.(illegally ) The world is shrinking and knowledge is more accessible then ever and will only become more so. Programming while an awesome skill privy to a few trained individuals will become accessible to all with the advent or personal AI's. It may be a while, but it is coming and things will change, just keep your eyes open so it doesn't sneak up on you.
    Last edited by why06; 03-29-2011 at 11:32 AM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

13. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (03-29-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Computers don't have to think outside the box. In fact they don't have to "think" at all. Thinking is for nubs. Why think when you can compare information and user experiences from tens of thousands of apps and billions of users. The idea that computers wouldn't be good at things is simply naive self-serving ideology. There was once an AI a few years back given the task of creating a new antenna design. It compared MILLIONS of shapes, found which one had better reception and worked and worked from there, building off the last step, probing an infinite number of probabilities.

It never had to think or learn from its mistakes, though doing so may have sped up the process. Instead it created a thousand new designs all at once. And ended up coming up with one of the most effective antenna designs. To think that a computer can not match human intelligence and even outstrip it very easily is naive. Everytime people have said computers can not do something they have been proved wrong. I have seen what Watson can do and if history serves in 1997 Deep Blue beat Kasparov and now 10 odd years later my laptop has roughly the same power. In 10 more years its not wishful thinking to assume a desktop would have the same power as the Power7. First rule of Hacking is to realize nothing can NOT be done. Once you accept all possibilities its more easy to see possible outcomes. Don't let your hope for job security get in the way. Hah! as if one job will last you your entire life.

The previous generation (mothers, fathers) are already going "back to college" the generation before who thought they could work in a job their whole life means we are finding senior citizens working at Wal-Mart or Target. One thing is clear knowledge/education is the only way to get ahead. It is the only asset that can not be bought or sold. Information is free and will only become more accessible as time goes on. Progress is speeding up. My parents generation was disrupted by the advent of the personal computer, then the internet. Do you really think there will not be a disruptive change in your lifetime? Everytime I have asked someone inside or outside of academia "When did they stop learning?" they answer I always receive is "never". You are forever a student. I honestly expect programming to become atleast in some sense a lot different then it is now. I don't see people sitting down and typing out "hard-coding" line after line. I see the creation of a User-programmer. Where programs are not mass produced, but customized for individual users. I see AI programming as being reborn in the next few years as the power necessary to run useful AI's becomes accessible to everyone. It used to be that not many could afford a horse, now everyone has a car. It used to be that books were few and expensive, now I can stored a million in my pocket.(illegally ) The world is shrinking and knowledge is more accessible then ever and will only become more so. Programming while an awesome skill privy to a few trained individuals will become accessible to all with the advent or personal AI's. It may be a while, but it is coming and things will change, just keep your eyes open so it doesn't sneak up on you.
    So, an AI could develop the most effective antenna, that's dandy. Could it have thought of the concept of an antenna if one did not already exist though? It takes someone with free-thinking to be like, holy shit I could make my computer to connect to the internet without wires connecting it to a modem. You're not going to have an AI pop up a message like:

"hey dipshit, you're doing it wrong, we need one of these fuckers to make things work faster, I'll call it an antenna"

Abstract thinking is vital for new ideas to evolve. I'll stand by that. Sure, AI is an effective workhorse, like in your case it took all the manual human work out of antenna model comparisons and returned what it felt was the top possible model for it, but it worked within set guidelines; it thought about antennas and antennas only.

It's been said for ages and ages that you never stop learning, that's life and you learn new things every day, no-one is arguing against that. I'm not saying AI isn't useful, or advanced, I'm just saying the day when an AI can tackle the world's problems and be responsible for new inventions is far (if not infinitely far) in the future.

A computer, by nature, is stupid. It reads 1's and 0's, that's basic. The reason it's so superior to us at processing equations etc so fast is because that's all it focuses on, it isn't distracted by anything, it has a set formula, it does the job without getting sidetracked and puts out the result with amazing speed. That's not saying it's smarter than us, someone had to tell it the formula in the first place.

Whatever, all this 'robots taking over the earth' crap has been around for years. If man is stupid (yet smart) enough to create an artificial intelligence to rival man's own intelligence (impossible imo seeing as we can't even grasp the extent of our capacity to learn yet), frankly we deserve everything we get.
    Last edited by Jason; 03-29-2011 at 11:49 AM.

++Latest Projects++
    Simple PE Cipher
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason For This Useful Post:

Hassan (03-29-2011),Hell_Demon (03-29-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinuz View Post
    Personally I think I'm doing fine and I haven't started University at all yet =)

Freelancing is usually fun, if that's what you mean

And Why, the human brain has about 2*10^16 flops of computational power, you would have to match that performance without creating a consciousness (needless to mention that is next to impossible with current or near future tech) and an interface for stimuli interpretation.
    Last edited by Alen; 03-29-2011 at 11:53 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

Hassan (03-29-2011),Hell_Demon (03-29-2011),Jason (03-29-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Very well said Jason. You've almost covered everything that was in mind so I would just add what I watched a few months ago that stunned my mind:

https://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benj...athemagic.html

Human mind has unparalleled powers. No shitty AI stuff can replace it.
    Last edited by Hassan; 03-29-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast